formZ 8 Pro
The award-winning general purpose solid and surface modeler
formZ 8 Pro
is an award winning general purpose solid and surface modeler with an extensive set of 2D and 3D form manipulating and sculpting capabilities, many of which are unique. It is an effective design tool for architects, landscape architects, urban designers, engineers, animators and illustrators, industrial and interior designers, and all design fields that deal with the articulation of 3D spaces and forms. formZ 8 Pro
is highly responsive to the needs of mature designers and, at the same time, novices can use it with ease.
formZ 8 Pro
highly interactive graphic interface with associated multiple windows, tear off tool palettes, virtually unlimited and selectively applied Undo/Redo operations, customizable key shortcuts for all the operations, simultaneously available prepick and postpick modes, and integrated 2D/3D operations allows you to work in either 2D or directly in 3D space.
A full set of primitives can be generated through graphic or numeric input. Also dynamically generated 3D solids and 2D shapes include rectangles, n-sided polygons, patterned polygons, circles, ellipses, arcs, free hand line drawings, a variety of splines, and double ("wall") lines.
Spherical objects, that include the complete set of Platonic solids, soccer balls, and lathed and geodesic spheres, can be generated both interactively and through numeric input, and can also be scaled and stretched. A special type of spherical objects, metaballs, can also be generated and blended to form highly organic shapes.
Terrain models can be generated as true 3D solids, trimmed to the shape of a site, from 2D contour lines. The four available types, mesh, triangulated mesh, stepped, and triangulated contour models, can be freely combined to model rivers, roads, flat areas, and a variety of other topographies.
Objects can be meshed at any level of resolution. Meshes can be moved symmetrically according to a predefined profile, or they can be disturbed randomly or according to a mathematical formula, such as a wave. Also, deformation operations can be applied to bend and twist meshed objects. Image based displacements can be used to imprint a shape on both flat and already meshed surfaces.
Advanced rounding can be applied to both facetted and smooth parametric objects. It can be applied to vertices, edges, or both vertices and edges, including concave vertices and sequences of edges called stitches. Surfaces can also be smoothly blended or fillets can be applied to their lines of intersection. Draft angles can also be applied to surfaces of solids, to facilitate molding operations.
New in this version
- Subdivision modeling is a method for creating unique organic forms. These organic models start from a simple base cage that can be dynamically manipulated and reformed with a new suite of tools that provide operations like grow, stretch, bridge, squeeze and offset. Subdivision models are parametric allowing for continued manipulation as well as dynamic control of the surface resolution.
The subdivision tools are also useful for quickly smoothing or softening a facetted model. Subdivision objects can be converted to NURBS for additional manipulation and evaluation using formZ 8 Pro’s extensive NURBS tools. Subdivision objects work great with 3D printing as they produce regular meshes that tend to give excellent results with popular 3D printers. Useful for tensile structures, organic surfaces ranging from exotic roofs to character meshes, these new tools make formZ 8 Pro more versatile than ever before.
- The new Round to Holdline tool generates a round between two (or more) faces of an object. The object can be a surface or a solid object. The round is defined with a holdline curve that lies on the surface. The variable radius of the round along the edge will be determined by the holdline
- Interactive display modes have been completely rewritten to take advantage of modern OpenGL capabilities. This is most noticeable in Shaded Full display mode with new real-time ambient occlusion, bump mapping, soft shadows and multi sampling features. These improvements aid in real-time visualization and design evaluation as they yield better depth perception and spatial definition. The image to the right illustrates the effect of these new features.
- Sketchfab.com is a website that allows you to share your 3D models so others can view and navigate around the model in real time. You can publish your models through Sketchfab.com, or you can embed them into your own web pages. There is a new Sketchfab upload option in the Extensions menu that allows for uploads to Sketchfab directly from formZ 8 Pro.
- The Sweep tools have a new option to use NURBS control points instead of a strict path. This enables smooth sweeps with lower numbers of control points.
- The Cross Skin tool now handles smooth sources.
- Tight Lofting option of the NURBS by lofting tool now supports the Closed in Depth (V) option.
- Layout improvements include a new option to keep the contents of a frame centered in the frame and better linkage to the model file associted with a frame.
- The Offset Outline tool can be applied to multiple outlines in a single operation. This makes it possible to offset multiple outlines on different objects the same distance simultaneously. A new option has been added to apply the offset at preset numeric distance in addition to the existing dynamic method.
- The Shift key now disables guide snaps in the Cone Of Vision making it possible to make subtle changes to view parameters.
- Components can now be viewed by name using the new List view in the Component Manager. The new Component Information button displays information about a component including how many times the component is placed in the project.
- Materials can now be organized into groups making it easier to organize projects with many materials.
- The Materials palette has been updated to be consistent with all form•Z palettes including control items at the top of the palette and a context menu for quick access to features.
- formZ 8 Pro's .fmz file format has been optimized to make files more compact. A new File Optimization option has been added to the Project Settings allowing for even smaller project files. Files saved with Auto Save feature use the smallest size to improve performance.
- Workspace settings can now be saved and reloaded in the Tool Manager making it possible to share custom layouts between machines and colleagues. The size of tool icons can be set without entering the tool manager by right clicking an icon and selecting Settings from the context menu.
- The Accelerator keys (accessed by pressing the space bar and typing) now work more logically by typing the name of the desired tool (or at least enough unique characters). The option to use the previous method remains in the Tool Manager.
- The DXF/DWG translators now support the AutoCad 2014 format. Export of DWF and SVG have been added.
- ACIS support has been upgraded to r24.
- RenderZone now uses Lightworks 9.1 which includes a number of performance improvements.
- The Windows versions use a new installer making installation easier and better integrated with the Windows operating system.
- Many additional performance and stability improvements.
formZ 8 Pro in a nutshell
- An effective design tool for all the fields that deal with the articulation of 3D forms and spaces,
formZ 8 Pro facilitates the development and execution of projects from conception to complete detailed structures, animated, and automatically fabricated.
- Design directly in 3D or in 2D, using numeric or interactive graphic input through either line or smooth shaded drawings (OpenGL),
slipping effortlessly back and forth among drafting, modeling, rendering, and animation.
- Grow a model from simple lines to complex surfaces or to true solids with a few quick clicks.
- Boolean solids to generate complex composite objects.
- Create curved surfaces from a variety of splines, including NURBS and Bezier/Coons patches.
- Dynamically sculpt and reshape objects using a variety of deformations to twist, bulge, or bend them, as you move seamlessly between 2D and 3D views.
- Resize, stretch, extrude, lathe, sweep, project, unfold, deform, round objects in few simple steps
- Create mechanical or organic forms using metaformz, nurbz, patches, subdivisions, displacements, or skinning.
- Terrain models, Platonic solids, geodesic spheres, double line wall objects, stair cases, helixes, screws, and bolts are at your fingertips.
- Add as many hierarchical layers as you need and work with floating point precision.
- Refine the design with double precision CAD accuracy to full structural detail for 3D visualization, for the production of 2D construction drawings, 3D printing, rapid prototyping, and CNC milling.
- Scripting and plug-in capabilities allow further customization for individual needs.
- The interface is fully customizable.
- formZ 8 Pro MovieZ support dynamic methods for transforming and morphing 3D shapes and allow the production of both animated visualizations of scenes and the capture of 3D shapes as they morph into other forms, introducing modeling methods that explore 3D forms significantly beyond traditional means.
- Information management of bills of materials and spreadsheet support for construction documents.
- Support for DWG and DXF to facilitate import/export to and from AutoCAD
- Extensive interoperability of formZ 8 Pro with other complementary applications through 20+ translators.
Support & Maintenance
New user licenses of formZ 8 Pro
come with four months of free technical support over the phone or e-mail directly from AutoDesSys
(4 months of Family Plan). Users have the option to subscribe to the Family Plan
, an annual maintenance plan that provides unlimited technical support and updates sent to you as they are released.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Similar Products You Might Consider